Yooper Paws Celebration

 Go Team Yooper Paws!

I started off the day feeling a bit discouraged because I had more "free" clients than paid in my FAD Class that started today. Every free person has it's own reason; Faith & Echo my helpers, Facility Owner & her dog, and a local disabled Veteran trying to help his overly social pup. With one paid person being a SDiT Team.

Class got off to a rocky start with one dog having a really rough time and then spiraling to all the other dogs. Adolescents feed of each other's energy and even Azul was stressed. 

Despite the rough start, the class actually became a huge success with a plan to make it better next week. The overly social dog that loves to bark will now come with their support & confidence sharing older sister dog to help him relax in the environment and they will be coming the hour immediately following the FAD class instead of adding that energy to the class. Once they get used to doing some 1-on-1 work with Azul and I, we will slowly add back in other dogs. The 2 large/giant dogs will continue to work more closely in class with Azul showing them the ropes and Faith & Echo will observe from a safe distance to help Echo get used to the indoor environment. It's a win-win for all involved and a much better plan for everyone else. Perhaps a little more work on my part, but its at the same time of day and location so I'm not hauling supplies twice.

Azul and I were exhausted by the end of class.

Happy Dance #2 - My upcoming Puppy Class

This class won't start for 2 more weeks and it's FULL! Better yet, everyone is paying! I have 2 people that are making a reduced payment, 1 has already booked and used 2 sessions of a 6 session package that we are converting so she's only paying for the last 2 classes and one is a local SD Family that has been a client for awhile and has a new puppy prospect so I gave her half price.

I will now be starting a waitlist for anyone who registers moving forward incase anyone cancels. Current people have to pay before 1 week before class starts so I have a full week to fill their spot of they suddenly stop contacting me or replying to my messages. (What happened to make the FAD class not full!) 

One of the puppy slots will be going to the Ridgeback Puppy that I will hopefully be picking up tomorrow! Yay!

Oh and it get's better while I type! I sent a text to all in the class letting them know the Payment Deadline and my phone has been going off with requests for payment links and payments coming in!

(Ask and you shall receive!)

Happy Dance #3 - Positive Reinforcement for the Win!

So if you've been around for awhile, you know Yooper Paws is located so rural that there is only 1 other trainer in town. A balanced trainer that puts prongs or chokes on all dogs in the first 5 min, even small dogs! Like most places we have several local groups including a "gossip" group and about once a month someone asks a question looking for local dog trainers. Previously there would be 30-50 replies mostly mentioning this balanced training and a few mentions of far away trainers, occasionally I have 1-3 people recommending me. Today's post had 30 comments last I looked with 1 mention of the balanced trainer, 3-4 far away referrals, and the rest 20-25 all suggested YOOPER PAWS!

OMG! The icing on the cake! What a way to end the day!

Many were past & current clients or friends of those clients where I knew the connection. But some of the people referring us were totally unknown to me! Someone posted the flyer for my puppy class another posted the flyer for the FAD Class, yet another stated that I don't just train puppies but also work with SD's and reactive dogs.

The other trainer has been the only trainer around for 20 yrs! It only took me 4 yrs and the last 2 of really trying to get my name out there where I don't have to search for clients because the word is out that my "kinder, gentler training methods work with all ages and types of dogs!"

This doesn't mean that I'm going to stop trying to put myself out there. But it gives me hope that I can turn Yooper Paws of Love into the business I want it to be! 

And the icing on this cake...the person who asked the question this time has already scheduled her first Evaluation Session at full price with plans to add the 6 session package on top of that. She will also be making payment at least 1 week in advance of her first session!

Picture of Azul totally laying out in the middle of the aisle while I eat lunch in an empty restaurant. He started out tucked under the table but stretched and moved out so I let him take up space that no one else was using! It allowed him to watch the people in the kitchen who loving him from a distance.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dog Days of August!

The Life of a SD Dog Trainer/Handler

June in a Nutshell